This recipe for Almond Cookies with Cacao-Hazelnut Cream shows that delicious cookies don’t necessarily mean a lot of sugar and white flour on the ingredient list.
The almond meal, honey and coconut oil give them fine flavor and texture, and for extra satisfaction they are filled with delicious hazel/chocolate cream.
And here is a little helper or should I say thief.
- FOR DOUGH
- 1 cup (about 140 grams) of whole meal spelt (or wheat) flour
- ¾ cup (about 85 grams) of almond meal
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup (about 60) of coconut oil
- 3 table spoons (about 60 grams) of honey
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- FOR FILLING
- ⅓ cup (about 40 grams) of hazel nuts
- ⅓ cup (about 40 grams) of coconut oil
- 2 table spoons (about 40 grams) of honey
- 2 tablespoons of cacao powder
- Soak the hazel nuts for an hour, and then drain them.
- For filling, place hazel nuts, honey, cacao and coconut oil in a high powered blender or food processor, blend until completely smooth.
- In a bowl, combine coconut oil, egg yolks, lemon zest and honey.
- Incorporate the wholegrain spelt (or wheat) flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients mixtures.
- Mix well using hands until dough comes together.
- Chill the dough for at least one hour.
- Place the dough on to a floured, clean surface. Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour as well. Roll out the dough ⅙ inch thick. Make sure that it isn't sticking to the work surface.
- Cut into pine tree shapes (or any other desirable shape) with cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on parchment paper on cookie sheets.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake for about 14 minutes, until firm. Don't over-bake. Wait to cool down.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of filling onto half of the cooled cookies, then top with the other half to make top layer.