Do you need an idea for an appetizer that is easily thrown together, but still delicious and attractive? I think I can help. You really must try these fantastic grilled zucchini rolls with feta and mint. They look kind of fancy, but they are really not hard to make. Plus they are healthy! Zucchini provides some great health benefits due to being an excellent source of manganese and a very good source of vitamin C and antioxidants.
If you intend to make them for a party, make sure you make plenty. There is a good chance of them being a hit and running out quickly.
The filling is a mixture of feta, nuts, seeds, and fresh mint. I used pine nuts and sunflower seeds. Pine nuts are a little on the expensive side, and if you don’t want to spend too much money, you can use just sunflower seeds and skip the pine nuts completely. Fresh mint gives this filling its very unique fresh and delightful flavor. If you don’t like the taste of mint, you can replace it with fresh basil. If you can’t find fresh herbs right now or you just want to make the process even easier, here is an alternative way to make a filling. Simply place feta cheese in the food processor with store-bought pesto and process until fully combined. If you would like a vegan version, you can substitute the feta with more sunflower seeds and pine nuts.
- 3 zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2⅕ oz (about 70 grams) feta cheese
- ⅕ cup (about 30 grams) sunflower seeds
- ⅕ cup (about 30 grams) pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped mint
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise using a mandolin. Drizzle each zucchini strip with olive oil on both sides.
- Place on a preheated grill for about 2-4 minutes each side or until tender. You can use a grill pan, if you don't have an access to a grill. Remove the zucchini from the grill and let them cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place pine nuts, sunflower seeds, and feta cheese in the food processor and process until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Spread about one teaspoon of the mixture across each strip of zucchini and roll it up.