Here’s a lovely idea as to what you can throw on your grill. Orange marinated salmon and vegetable skewers are healthy, light, tasty and super awesome. This recipe is fool proof for no-skilled cooks; even if you are the most inexperienced cook, you can still successfully make this awesome grilled dinner. All you have to do is to thread pieces of marinated salmon and vegetables onto skewers and grill them.
You can experiment with whatever veggies you like or currently have in your fridge. I use the most colorful veggies that I can think of because I love it when my food is nice to look at, and the rainbow colors of veggies are definitely gorgeous.
I added a few pieces of fresh pineapple to add some extra sour flavor. If you so desire, you can also replace the salmon with your preferred meat. I marinate salmon in red orange marinade, but regular orange is fine too. I use red orange mainly because I think that the wild red marinade will make the salmon’s beautiful colors stand out even more. If you don’t have a grill, you can bake skewers in the oven.
- 1 pound (about 500 grams) salmon fillet
- Juice of 1 orange
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- ½ red onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pineapple, chunks
- 20 skewer sticks
- To make the marinade, cut an orange in half and squeeze its juice into a bowl. You can use a citrus reamer. Add salt, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and crushed garlic.
- Remove salmon’s skin and bones. With a sharp knife, make a cut between the flesh and skin and cut along the length of the fillet. Remove the skin. The easiest way to remove bones is pulling them one by one with tweezers.
- Cut the salmon into bite-sized pieces and transfer them into a bowl with a marinade. Place it into a fridge for at least 15 minutes. If you have the time, leave the salmon marinade for a few hours.
- Meanwhile cut the veggies and pineapple in to the bite size pieces. Don’t cut the cherry tomatoes.
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes. This will prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Thread the salmon, veggies and pineapple onto the skewers. Make any pattern you like.
- Preheat grill on medium to high heat and grease it with olive oil. Grill salmon skewers for about 10 minutes until they are golden brown.
I got inspiration for this recipe from looking at beautiful pictures of Steak Fajita Skewers.