Here is my recipe for pistachio chicken nuggets. It’s like a fancy version of fast food. They are absolutely delicious and guilt-free because they are oven baked instead of fried. I made them with ground chicken. I think it’s better to use ground chicken instead of turkey because they come out tender and you can make your desired shapes with cookie cutters. You can buy already grounded chicken or turkey meat, or you can ground it yourself from a fillet using a food processor. I prefer that option because I usually buy meat at farmer’s markets and they don’t sell ground chicken, plus I like to see what I get and you can’t see that if you take already grounded meat. So I do that at home and it is really easy. Just cut the meat in the small pieces, put them on a plate and place it, with the plate, in the freezer for about half an hour until meat is slightly frozen at the ends. Take it out and place the chicken in a food processor and process until you get crumb like pieces of meat. That will take approximately a few minutes. Don’t place all the meat in the food processor at once, but rather divide it into a few equal parts. If you don’t want to play with that, you can just buy regular ground chicken/turkey, or you can even make it from small pieces of fillet. It will be still wonderful, but I prefer the grounded version.
And here is the recipe in pictures.
- 1½ cups (about 150 grams) of peeled pistachios
- 1 pound (about 500 grams) of ground chicken or turkey
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (about 70 grams) whole wheat or spelt flour
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves
- Ground red paprika
- Place unsalted peeled pistachios in a food processor or high speed blender and process until you get pistachio flour. Sift the pistachio flour in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine ground meat, one egg, about two tablespoons of whole wheat or spelt flour, salt, paprika, half of teaspoon of red paprika, and crushed garlic.
- Place whole wheat or spelt flour in a medium bowl.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a medium bowl.
- Dip chicken pieces into the flour first, then dip them in the egg and lastly coat with the pistachio flour. Place the well-coated chicken nuggets on baking paper in a baking tin and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes on 350°F (180 °C).