If you haven’t tried any of my recipes yet, you have to make this one! Pistachio frappe is creamy, delicious, fabulous and childishly simple to make.
All you have to do is blend pistachios with milk, coconut milk, honey and vanilla essence in a blender. Then you will have to pour the liquid in to the ice cube molds and freeze it.
But you have to use a high speed blender to make it because you have to blend frozen pistachio ice cubes and a regular blender may not be strong enough for that.
It may work with a strong food processor, but I haven’t tried that. Once, I used a regular blender to make nut butter, and that was not the smartest idea. It wasn’t strong enough to process nuts, so it broke. Actually, I was stupid enough to make that same mistake twice, so I broke two blenders. Then I decided it was the time to upgrade to a stronger high speed blender, and it was the best decision ever!
Pistachio frappe is a skinnier and healthier version of frappe. Commercial frappes are made with heavy cream, artificial aromas and colors, and lots of sugar. That is, of course, bad for you. My healthier version is made of milk, coconut milk, just a bit of honey and delicious pistachios, which are a great source of some important nutrient such as vitamin B-6, magnesium, iron and calcium. If you are a vegan, or if you don’t consume cow’s milk for any other reason, you can substitute it for any plant-based milk of your choice.
I got inspired for this recipe while I was browsing Sugar-Free Mom blog and I found amazing recipe for Sugar-Free Nutella Iced Coffee Frappe. And since I am obsessed with pistachios I made frappe with pistachios and it came out amazing. If you are crazy about pistachios you can check my other pistachio recipes for Pistachio cookies and Pistachio Chicken Nuggets.
- ¾ cup (about 100 grams) of peeled unsalted pistachios
- ¼ cup (about 60 grams) of coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups (about 4 deciliters) of cow's milk or plant based milk
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Vanilla essence (preferably organic)
- 0,35 oz (about 10 grams) of dark (85%) chocolate
- In a high speed blender, blend peeled pistachios, coconut milk, milk, honey and vanilla essence until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into the ice cube molds and freeze until completely solid.
- Take them out of the freezer and then just pop them out of the ice cube trays.
- Place ice cubes in a high speed blender and blend until the ice cubes are completely broken and the frappe is smooth.