If you are dreaming about having a sexy body, losing some weight or just want to have a healthier lifestyle, you should consider having a smoothie for breakfast or snack on a regular basis. Here’s why:
1. They are delicious. There are so many varieties that you can easily find something you will enjoy.
2. If you have kids or you are having trouble eating your daily veggies, you could sneak greens or other vegetables into a smoothie.
3. They are a great meal on the go. If you are busy in the morning, a smoothie is quick and easy to fix. Just blend in your favorite ingredients and take it away in a portable cup.
4. You may struggle with having enough recommended servings of fruit and vegetables, but you can easily solve this problem with a smoothie.
Here is an idea for a lovely rhubarb pineapple smoothie. It is a perfect spring-summer drink. It is refreshing, healthy and takes only a few minutes to make. The sour taste of rhubarb and berries is a perfect union with the sweet pineapple.
You don’t have to peel the rhubarb stems before using them, but if you feel tempted to throw the rhubarb’s giant green leaves in a blender to make green smoothie, don’t. Rhubarb leaves are poisonous. They contain oxalic acid, which can lead to serious health problems if you consume it.
Although rhubarb leaves are not edible, stalks are healthy and provide you with good sources of vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin K, calcium and luthein.
- 1 whole medium pineapple
- 1 cup (about 122 grams) rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup (about 123 grams) mixed berries
- 1 liter water
- Clean rhubarb. Use only stems!
- Peel and cut pineapple. If you are using a high speed blender you can leave the core and blend it in. If you are using a regular blender, I suggest you trim out the core.
- Throw rhubarb stems, pineapple, berries and water into a blender and blend well until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy.
P.S. You might also like Sour Green Smoothie.